View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3922917)   #4417
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wonder if any one here can help an aged Vauxhall Corsa owner sort out a fault? (For the avoidance of doubt both car and owner are old?

My 1.4 Corsa was running perfectly on Tuesday, motor way, towns etc.
Not used on Wednesday. Thursday morning completely dead electronics, only thing that worked was the red warning light that appears before you start the car, no lights , horn, radio etc, etc,.

Am charging battery as I assume it is flat, however, after a couple of hours I tried reconnecting to see if anything worked. Still stone dead.

Owner manual pretty useless, little help at all.

Could it be a) Shorting out somewhere.
b) A fuse problem.
c) Something else.

Any help gratefully accepted.

A battery cell failure can offer that sort of odd, apparently sudden fail.

Do you have a way of measuring the voltage across the battery terminals?

If you can jump start it and measure the voltage it is receiving with the engine running it would be a way of checking the alternator's performance.

Yes it could be an earth problem - cable from engine to chassis for example - but the battery situation is an easier check if you have a suitable meter. If the electrics are totally dead then the battery is a strong suspect. I've had basically the same thing on my Saab and on Management's Corolla. It's about the only thing that seems to stop the Corolla.

Beyond that I'll leave it to those who know what they are talking about to offer professional advice.