View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3922936)   #4422
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wonder if any one here can help an aged Vauxhall Corsa owner sort out a fault? (For the avoidance of doubt both car and owner are old?

My 1.4 Corsa was running perfectly on Tuesday, motor way, towns etc.
Not used on Wednesday. Thursday morning completely dead electronics, only thing that worked was the red warning light that appears before you start the car, no lights , horn, radio etc, etc,.

Am charging battery as I assume it is flat, however, after a couple of hours I tried reconnecting to see if anything worked. Still stone dead.

Owner manual pretty useless, little help at all.

Could it be a) Shorting out somewhere.
b) A fuse problem.
c) Something else.

Any help gratefully accepted.
I'd go with the others here Baub and suggest it's just that your battery has lost a cell. If you do try jump leads & another battery to prove this it may be worth-while to disconnect maybe the earth connection from your existing battery and then connecting the jump leads directly to a good earth point on the car or engine. The 'dead' battery could sap all of the power from your good one. If you have jump leads, one thing to try first is to use one to temporarily connect the earth side of your battery to somewhere metal on the engine. If the engine earth strap has corroded through (which would greatly reduce the electrical power to your engine) this will bypass that problem and allow the car to start.
Please keep us posted with progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Worked on a lot of Imps in my time Mike and I never saw one with a cable, they all hydraulic Mind you my memory isn't what it was
Thanks for this Gordon. I thought the same when I read Mikes post but didn't have the strength in my convictions to stick my head above the parapet and say this!