View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2011, 10:20 (Ref:2967521)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John your last comment is exactly the dilemma I think they face. Do they stick to the original ethos of the club (and its entry criteria) and risk a club that becomes so exclusive that it disappears or do they open its doors to generally "good blokes" who dabble in the sport with varying degrees of success.

Weekend warrior is a very generic term and taking Jon Minshaw out of the list as I believe he earned his spurs in modern racing (and correct me if I am wrong but is a member) I would say we are all weekend warriors with the probable exception of Roger who has taken it to another level and is currently more focused on modern GT3.

As I singled out Edwin Jowsey earlier I will use him as the example (and this is no disrespect to him as I am certain he is more talented than I would ever be) but whilst he dominated FJ a few years ago he is a very much also ran in modern single seaters. That is the point, it is broadly easier to shine in historics when much of the field are old duffers like me having a bit of fun rather than against others trying to carve a career asyou would find in any modern series.

If you take this to a logical conclusion you could well find youngsters starting to use historics as an alternative career path and as has been seen in FJ it can change the dynamics - and not in a good way. Let the genuinely enthusiastic race historic carrs but dont let them kid themselves that they are truly gifted if they win.

This is possibly why BRDC members become so incensed when people pass themselves off as members by putting the badge on their cars. Membership should be a recognition that you have excelled in the sport.