Thread: ELMS ELMS 2016
View Single Post
Old 5 Sep 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3571625)   #9
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I’ll agree that the decision to add Spa is a bit curious. The WEC races there in May and presumably the WEC will also be keeping the Nürburgring, which isn’t that far away, with an (I suppose) August date. It might be hard to get much of a crowd the third time around in the same general area. OK, I get that the ELMS business model isn’t exactly built around attracting paying fans, but I think there would be other markets that might work better for them over the long run. Might it be that the support series are driving the schedule selection process in this case?
I'd be amazed if the ticket prices for Spa were high, and it's possible to do London-Spa in a day trip, especially with a four hour race rather than six hours - so the catchment area's pretty big.

Zolder would have been nice for a bit of variety - but between the two? Spa's got it every day of the week. I guess there's a bit of me that would have liked a bit more diversity, so maybe Brno or Mugello being put into the mix, but I'm not going to carp about what we've got for 2016.

Closing up the schedule gaps is highly appreciated too.