View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2000, 06:33 (Ref:5122)   #5
torana
Rookie

torana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the GP on Friday. (Being self employed has some advantages) and saw the Sports car race. The Ford GT40 in the gulf racing colours was driven by Kevin Bartlet, an aussie racer who seems to have driven everything except a nail. The GT40 was at Phillip Island the wek before for the Historic races sounded and went really well. It was a shame that the Veskanda sports car that was also at P.I was not in the race. This is a car built by Kand A engineering in South Austfor Van Elsen Photographics hence Ves K and A. The car was a real flyer in its day whic was only about 5 yeras ago. It comfortably did 1.29's at P.I on old tyres and no real development when the lap record is 1.20's. John Bowe said at the island that with some new tyres, more development on chassis and engine and a young gung ho driver he believes that the car could easily do low 23's at the island. i would say that the car would have easily given the canam typre sports cars at the AGP a hell of a fright.
Still it was good to see these monsters out on the track. was the race shown internationally?