Thread: New to karting
View Single Post
Old 27 May 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2886772)   #9
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who wouldnt be eager?! It's Superkarts! Does travelling really put you off? If you get to long circuits, there are about 7 meetings a year ranging from Oulton to Cadwell to Thruxton and (occassionally Croft).

Good to hear youre going to Oulton, go and find the Superkart camp (lovely Ford Transit van...) and ask, mention my name if you want (Ben Davis). Most of the guys who run it are ex racers so they will definitely be able to help, plus the COC may well be the person who runs Darley Moor... Pity I wont be there, apologies!

To get a National B, you have to pass an ARKS test (which you can do at Darley) which is really very easy. Then you can just race at short circuits, but you start of the back of the grid for a few races.

If you havent raced before, I would strongly recommend doing as many practice sessions as you can, be it simply in arrive and drive karts, or test days before race weekends on short circuits. I would also avoid buying a 250 straight off, they are quite difficult to drive, 125s are a little easier, just see how confident you feel after that day at Darley. I did just 5 race meetings in a Junior TKM before I first drove a 250 and picked it up quite quickly, long circuit racing takes a little while longer though.

National A you can apply for after 6 race meetings which includes races at 3 different short circuits. Then you become a long circuit "novice" which means nothing apart from you run with a black cross on your numberplate just to let others know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
not to put you off but what have you raced before??? maybe it would be better starting in 2 stroke karting like tkm or rotax first at a local track, then progress up to superkarts....even tkm and rotax are really quick and arent easy to drive...superkarts are mental!
I take offence!! Mental?! Like I said, go to Darley, and if you feel confident, perhaps race 125s for a year on short circuits, see how you get on then go from there. But I agree, jumping straight into a 250 on long circuits with potentially 47 other people racing would be dangerous, hence the licencing system!

Let us know what you think of the 125s at Oulton, but it's good to hear some interest in Superkarts, most people either havent heard of them (and therefore think slow arrive and drive karts), or think theyre for old men.