View Single Post
Old 4 Jan 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3184718)   #84
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Robert Farrell;3184522]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I think you misunderstood my post Peter, I agree with you, but we've had people saying 'I was there in period and we did this' Well maybe they did, but it was cheating then and is now . . . or they're being asked to lie. either way its wrong.

I have some sympathy for the "I Was There" people. Everyone from blokes in sheds to the works teams were always experimenting. This meant lots of modified components were built, some adopted some discarded. Not all of them were adopted for homologation. (They were however good for getting 11 year olds wandering round the paddock excited.)
Even the factory teams would not waste resources by designing and building componenets in order to homologate them before using them in competition. So I don`t believe it was neccessarily cheating in the day.
In some respects I agree,considering the MG Magnette with all alloy panels,wasn't disclosed until a scrutineer had a play with a magnet.
I think the biggest problems are hidden away in the mechanicals though.They did not have the materials available in period.Probably couldn't turn a 3.8 into a 5 litre etc etc etc et----e.