View Single Post
Old 4 Jul 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3273937)   #34
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfizz View Post
I kinda get what Kyle is saying, i just wouldn't have put it in those words. Danica is nowhere near the worst driver to appear in the Cup series (Kevin Conway anyone?), however the results she gets definately do not justify the amount of hype and column inches. She is a fair to middling top level race car driver. Good, but nothing special. There are probably 30 other drivers in Nationwide and Trucks who could do the same job she is doing in Cup, and perhaps better given the level of equipment. Look at Matt Crafton last week. He's 37, raced in the truck series for many years. Made his Nationwide series debut last week for Childress and ran top 5 virtually all race. Thats a driver. He could probably finish top 20 in Cup this weekend if given the opportunity. Yet Matt Crafton doesn't have go-daddy, so can't get a decent ride, and go-daddy don't want him because he's normal and 'not marketable'. Matt has to make do with a few dollars from 'Bubba's Auto Repair' or 'Molly-Mae's Meat Pies'. Danica is only in Cup because she has a great sponsor. She only has a great sponsor because she is female in a male dominated sport, good looking and will get her kit off for the camera. I don't blame Danica one bit. This is what she has to do to race at this level and she does it. Fair play to her. But deals like this will only last so long. Sooner or later she has to get results or she will start to disappear off the radar. When she does that, Go-daddy will go-byebye along with her career.
Actually, Crafton's the points leader in the Truck series, so he'll be around for awhile. He's sponsored by Menards. Even if Danica never shows justifiable results, I don't see Go Daddy dropping her.