View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2020, 10:11 (Ref:4025491)   #29
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there have been some excellent suggestions in this thread for why some drivers deserves to be on a list for 2020. I know that I have a hard time ranking some of them, and maybe putting up groups for classification is a more fair way of doing it.

I know that there are some drivers I rank very high because I *like* them, that did not deserve to be on a list 2020 because they did nothing much to bring attention to themselves.

I have come to love Seb Vettel for example, after seeing that clip when the whole team was assembled to celebrate and he suddenly interrupted them and had the guy put Kimis name next to his on the score board. I started crying. He is smart, charming, funny and a very decent human being. But, I have never been a fan of the driver Sebastian Vettel. I'd love to hang out with him and chat, though.

Then we have Kimi, which really is an enigma to many. As we don't have any Swedish talent in F1 these days I'll have to cheer for our Finnish brothers (mene Suomeen!). Kimi is also very funny and charming, but he as all out admitted he is doing this more like a hobby! But, when he had the opportunity, you could see he still had it. Hard not to like that, but most of this year, he drove a fast car for fun, and it showed.

Bottas then. He is a uncharismatic number two. But! Compare him to Albon, who paired with a teammate who is really good looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Same thing with Vandoorne, who was paired with one of the truly great and came out wanting. Not surprisingly. Bottas rarely looses it. He does it sometimes, but then he calms down and gets his act together. Imagine being paired with one of the truly great drivers who beat you like he is not even trying, and it happens over and over again. But, Valtteri gets in the car again and sometimes even beats one of the best. Damn, that is impressive. He has one of the strongest minds on the grid. Do I like him? Well. Do I respect him? Hell yeah! He is not one that's easy to cheer for as he is a bit, number two(?), in all he does.

I'm also going to throw it out there, being a part time Canadian, that I rate Stroll much higher this year than I ever did before. That wet driving of his showed skill, real skill. I'm beginning to like him. He needs some of that Finnish mental endurance.

Latifi? The jury is still out on that one...