View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3768695)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Of course, when you put limits on the "advanced" engines it's no longer much chop. I have a feeling the poor thing (like a lot of Jap donks) just wants to revvvvvvvvvvv
Agree although the limits were there & known about long before Nissan started using this engine. The rev limit in particular always meant to me that the pushrod engines would still be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I refer you to both Australia's own Repco and Cosworth, selecting a 4 valve DOHC configuration for their Formula 1 V8s some 50 years ago, and foregoing the option to use the simpler and more compact 2 valve pushrod OHC layout.

A choice of more compact pushrod layout, which interestingly enough, all Formula 1 engine manufacturers have opted against until the present day.
In a completely different formula, where engine revs were not restricted and the cars a much lower weight, with free final drive and gear ratios then DOHC engines make all the sense in the world.

In a rev-restricted, parity touring car set of regs, the DOHC engines are OK but not world beaters and so far have struggled to deliver in the way that some thought they would.