View Single Post
Old 5 Jun 2001, 00:16 (Ref:101264)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no question that a penalty was in order, but a 10 second stop and go would have been plenty.

IMO, this was waaaay too harsh, and sets a very dangerous precedent. Correct me if I am wrong, but in oval racing there are no blue flags, thus drivers are not required to yield the same way they are in road races. Thus if one driver wants to lap another, he will have to race for it, within the rules. If a driver blocks, he should be assesed the same penalty as a driver racing at the front: a 10s stop and go.

This was way over the top, and I feel it will take away from the racing on ovals, where races usually only get interesting when the front runners come upon the backmarkers. If the backmarkers are expected to leap out of the way of the front runners, it will be like watching a train of cars go round in circles. If this is what is desired, I say we can do away with all of the ovals.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes