View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2769929)   #3
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Feel free to rant about 2012, could be interesting

I share the same thoughts, altho maybe not as strong. You have fair points, but its nothing to complain about IMO, Hubbe is not the best, but he'll do. TV director is not the best, but he makes the cut. Same goes for safety and everything else, its not world class, but its good enough. And I think things can improve next year when its a little bigger and a little better.

BTW, I dont think there was any prize money this year, it was quietly droped for this year for some reason?

And also, now when the season is over I would REALLY like to know what tracks and teams we will see next year!
Well, it's not Argentina, I'll give you that - I may be unfair, but I wasn't impressed by the races I watched a year or so ago. I do think it's very important to complain about it though, since all these things are easy to fix. Move the tractors. Sharpen up the safety breifings. Get a driver on the stewards panel. Use Frida when she's already there for a bunch of weekends, she's great. Move the cameras around a bit, send the producer on a course. Don't use the penalty chicane. A championship is not a proper championship unless there is equal opportunity for everyone, and there's no reason to accept substandard safety when a better alternative is whithin reach. And the TV side, well, it's a shame if you have a great championship and it fails because of the packaging.

The prize money was still in the sporting regs for this year, at least. Maybe they're not following them.

Now, 2012 rules rant. I'll begin by saying I have no facts, just a bit of speculation and conspiracy theories. But here's my guess on what may have happened.

STCC looks at the future regulations, NGTC vs 1600. They think, 1.6 liters is a bit meh even with a turbo and the British cars are supposed to be more exciting overall. And we've already got a partnership with them! So NGTC it is. We'll tell the world we've come up with something great and will reveal it soon.

Once STCC starts talking about the exciting rules they get a call from Volvo who says, It's the NGTC rules isn't it. Well yes, how come? Well, we're thinking about a WTCC campaign and really wouldn't want to build two cars to different regulations since it would cost us a bunch. Oh blimey says STCC, well, we'll wait for a bit while you make your mind up.

I'm guessing that's where we are now. NGTC gets dumped in favour of 1.6L turbos, Volvo are very happy they're able to dictate the future of the series all by themselves, the organization is teethless/spineless, the Brits gets screwed again when the main client for picking up NGTC goes away. BTC versus Super 2000 all over again. Fast forward another decade and we'll be asking ourselves why things always gets worse and how we can get Super Touring back (still).