View Single Post
Old 9 Oct 2000, 21:13 (Ref:42055)   #7
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy has already outperformed him, in just two or three races. I don't have anything against Pruett, from every indication, he seems like a nice individual, and I'll bet, especially since he and his wife just recently had a child, he feels much more comfotable with the "family" atmosphere of NASCAR as opposed to the "international playboy" atmosphere of cart. This being said, Wells did a great disservice to Pruett by putting him directly into Cup. This was akin to throwing him to the wolfs! He should have taken Pruett one step at a time, a year on the NASCAR Slim Jim All-Pro, NASCAR Featherlite Southwest, NASCAR Revco Northwest, or NASCAR ReMaxx Series, or ARCA, Hooters ProCup, or ASA Series. Then if he did well enough, a year in Busch, then after he had proven himself, and adapted too stock cars, a shot at a Winston Cup ride. He would have faired much better this way. The best thing Wells could do at this point, for Pruett, would be to get any cart people that are working on the Winston Cup effort out of it, and find, not steal, some experienced stock car personel to work on his team. Houston is an up and comming hard charger, and should do well. Pruett will take a couple more years, I predict 3 to 5 years before he gets to the level that Houston is at now, in stock cars. I honestly do not believe that Scott Pruett ever had the "open-wheel superiority complex", he is just too nice and too humble a person, I do think, because of several statements that he has made, that this was a much harder transition than he expected, but I don't think that he had the attitude that say Robby Gordon had, "I'm a cart driver, I'll walk away with everything these dumb hillbilly rednecks have, I'll show them how to drive a race car", when he came into NASCAR. As for Wells, yeah, he really had the attitude, and rightly, and much to my delight and agreement, had that attitude shoved up his a$$! Other indy-type car drivers would do well to pay attention to the plights of Pruett and Gordon before thinking that they can just jump into Winston Cup, and because of their open-wheel success, think that they will be handed the Winston Cup. All of their open-wheel/road-racing experience and skills, and especially their "superiority attitude" doesn't mean squat in NASCAR!