View Single Post
Old 8 Feb 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3201076)   #14
ascott
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
ascott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a number of touring car series moving to silhouette regulations I've thought a bit about this and have come to the same logical conclusion as the OP. In a silhouette series with engine parity, it makes a lot of practical sense to save cost and complexity and use a spec engine. In theory you can choose the engine most suited for the application, without having that engine compromised by the requirement to run in parity with one of lower output.

I definitely appreciate series that run genuinely different cars, and you are most of the way to loosing that variety once you are running identical chassis. There isn't any significant additional interest for me in different engines constrained to equivalent performance over a spec engine. It's all pretty subjective though and I respect the opinions of those who feel differently

However...as the above probably implies, I've never been either a Holden or Ford fan, but I have much respect for the rivalry as this has provided a foundation for touring car racing in Australia/NZ. It's meant that collapses such as what happened with the BTCC have largely been avoided, certainly in V8SC. If parity has a role to play in this regard then it's a good thing.