View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2000, 18:10 (Ref:38036)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The accident happened almost in front of us, although we could not see the initial collision we clearly saw the car flip up in the air, Nigel being thrown in a sumersault before landing on the grass. The first people at the crash were Robin Lodge who stopped just behind the car in his Ferrari, followed closely by Stirling and Alain DeCadenet both in now badly dented Coopers, The marshalls were there very soon after, hampered slightly as most were posted on the other side of the track (we are talking only seconds longer). It was a relief to hear of only slight injuries as the medics were on the scene for a long time and many around us were fearing the worst.
Looking at the wrecked car it was lucky that the driver was thrown clear as what seemed to be a roll hoop stuck into the mud.

I agree with the general view here, racing should be allowed with cars as they were. If the drivers are happy to race then please let them. They surely must race for their enjoyment. I go to see real cars, real drivers driven as they should be, at 9/10's or even 5/10's the sight and sound is enough. Far better than a brief glimpse of a helmet at vast speed though catch fencing before pitting and going for good into a motor home bigger than my house.

SL