View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3845153)   #36
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hadfield View Post
Auction results, any one of the internet race car sales sites, private ads, there is a huge resource available to HMC.
A mate of mine bought a used Cannondale bike frame in the States on one of our trips, bought it home hand baggage and HMC valued it to within £10 of the price he paid privately.
They do know their job.
Before the interweb became so popular they apparently asked people like Coys.
I wonder if they still use them?

Nowadays they apparently use "market value", so even if you have been lucky enough to buy something cheap the costs are based on a "real-world" value.

It was different before - one time when I was importing a large French car the customs guy said "that wasn't very expensive", I replied that it was all I could afford!

Another time a friend had just negotiated the import of a classic car, that was surprisingly affordable, and the customs officer said "That was cheap, I've just finished restoring a T-type MG"!