View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3615779)   #179
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I do fully understand the need for cars to be homologated and for certain events to only allow in cars that were homologated in period but I do wonder whether there is a case for an alternative system to allow cars that were not homologated in period!

Of course, there would have to be some sort of criteria that set the specs to basically just safety items rather than performance items so as not to disadvantage cars that were homologated in period!

Bear with me as I use an example - the Porsche 944 was never homologated for competition in period (with exception of the 220 turbo in to Group B) but it's disappointing that it can't be used now except in club events. The MSA has introduced a historic Tarmac rally championship for this year with age group classes for pre 1986 and pre 1990 cars. A 944 would be a great car for this series but.....isn't eligible! Tough, the purists will say, and I respect that but if there was a class that allowed cars like this to compete, but not for awards, then it could be a great way to introduce new people to the sport? As I suggest, cars would have to be specced with production brakes, dampers, power train etc and just stripped out to a defined weight and fitted with safety gear only. And probably run in their own class. Can of worms or a new growth category that allows in popular cars to compete that manufacturers saw fit not to homologated in the day?

I'll get my coat!