View Single Post
Old 13 Sep 2019, 01:39 (Ref:3927650)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Maybe this is obvious, but I think a core issue is that offenses (or potential ones) fit on a scale that ranges from...

Highly Objective ...... High Subjective

For example a wheel that is not connected and falls off the car before leaving the pit... Hard to say that is anything but highly objective. The wheel either did or did not fall off!

Did someone make too an extra move in the braking zone. That can be very subjective at times. Extensive examination of data (video, telemetry) are attempts to convert the subjective to objective. But even then I expect there is always a subjective element of the analysis.

Richard
The issue of not leaving a car width from the edge of the track to a car alongside you though would appear to be absolutely clear cut, perhaps some painted lines on the track designating a car width from the circuit edge would be in order. You can weave as much as you like, but you must stay on one side or the other of the marked line.

The problem is that many of the stewards decisions don't stand up to any examination for consistency.

Jolyon Palmer puts it reasonably eloquently here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-331N72Iu0

On a separate note.

I thought the case of Sainz junior bumping Alex Albon off the road was also subject to debate, Sainz admitted that he had lost the rear and "oversteered and hit Alex without purpose", pushing Alex off the road.
The incident was not even looked at by the stewards, yet Sainz had hit Albon and knocked him off the road whilst Albon was trying to overtake him. Why should Sainz's mistake and contact with Albon advantaged Sainz and disadvantaged Albon.