View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1367078)   #43
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The concept of titles being "robbed" is insane. Anyone who has won a title has done so, by definition, because things, for whatever reason, went better for him than his opponents.

Anyway, in terms of the topic. I am not sure if going through countless drivers and comparing their situations really helps us get any closer to the question posed by the thread. It can let people suggest why they consider somebody to have had the potential to have attained more than they did had their circumstances been different, or vice versa: but that is self-evident.

Are champions generally (as I believe the "always" was subsequently revised to be taken as) viewed as superior to non-champions? I would say yes, absolutely, otherwise the drivers and teams would not see any particular worth in striving so bloody hard to be champion! From the fan perspetive, too, I think this holds true.

Just look at this thread: it has been a case of people picking the odd driver as attempts to provide exceptions to the "rule" which, to me, shows that there is an overall perception present in the first place.

Hrrrmmm, I hope that is reasonably clear. My take thus far.