View Single Post
Old 19 Sep 2007, 22:59 (Ref:2018371)   #35
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Originally Posted by knighty

the reason the Katech Corvette engine makes such good power is it was designed from the outset to rev very low for reduced friction, and for its size, the stroke is quite big at around 96 to 98mm (I have the exact figure at work), this in turn reduces the friction, as friction is directly proportional to the rotational speed of the engine, as the faster the crank rotates, the more loading it exerts on the main bearings, therefore the more friction it will create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
2006 Corvette Engine Specifications
2006 Corvette C6.R
Displacement (L / ci) 7.0 / 427
Horsepower 590 @ 5400 rpm
Torque (lb-ft) 640 @ 4400 rpm
Bore diameter
(mm / in) 106.2 / 4.180
Crankshaft stroke
(mm / in) 98.42 / 3.875
Deck height
(mm / in) 235 / 9.24
"V" angle (deg) 90
Cylinder bore spacing
(mm / in) 111.7 / 4.40
Knighty:
This is not to say that the Chevy boys have not designed to work with lower revs. as high ones on an engine that already has small ports to work with the restrictor do nothing when only x amount of air can go through by the laws of physics, but a bore of 4.18 is not small with 4.40 bore centers.

I would say how the rod journals, are located on the crankshaft and journal size are of as great of importance here than merely the stroke.
Actually lower revs are not a choice but a necessity again as I said above, without a blower or ram-air you can only get so much through a hole of x diameter and I am sure the sight line on the factory heads would make an engine builder of even twenty years ago go "oooooooh, sweeeeeet."

I am not countering what you said but I see nothing really odd about the bore/stroke ratio of this engine; now if it was under-square, that would really get my attention.
Bob
PS--Now I do not know what the HP number actually represents, if it is peak or just a number that is there to have one.
It is odd though.
It does show how many ponies this engine puts out about the time when the Audi is peaking.

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 19 Sep 2007 at 23:06.