Thread: IMSA: 2020
View Single Post
Old 17 Aug 2019, 20:53 (Ref:3923135)   #37
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
IMSA needs to be very careful not to follow WECs path here. With Acura and Mazda not selling customer cars yet, the reliance is on Caddy to build, sell and support all the customer cars. The LMP2 class got the same treatment as LMP1-P, with the feeling of "eh, we don't really want you, but here's a class that's not great to run in" being pretty prominent.

I think IMSA is smart enough not to follow WECs path, but there are certainly parallels going forward. 3 manufacturers, limited customer cars, and no place else for privateers to go.
I don't think that example correlates here but there is some likeness. Private/non-hybrid lmp1's always had a weight and power advantage, even before their upgrades in 2018. The thing is, the ACO said NO MANUFACTURER's could make a non-hybrid lmp1. Porsche and Audi spending f1-level money didn't help either. Only a couple teams bit, namely Rebellion and ByKolles. Not to criticize them, but they aren't on Toyota, Audi and Porsche level regardless of how many breaks you give them.

But I do agree with you about here in IMSA. Imo, they already have been on the same track. No manufacturers in lmp1-light, non-manufacturers excluded from DPi. Separation of lmp1-h/lmp1-L class, separation of DPi and lmp2 class. Big manufacturers/teams not giving their lmp1 to smaller ones. Big manufacturer(s) not giving/selling their DPi to smaller teams (Penske Acura, Mazda).

All this time we were being fed stories about how DPi is this sustainable, great and cheap alternative to lmp1's huge budgets, that there were all these manufacturers lined up... But here we are and there's no expansion or new entries as in types of DPi on the horizon, there's teams ready to leave, single make teams and only one customer chassis.

Both DPi2022 and hypercar are supposed to be the next big thing, but I don't see either of them being subscribed to more than what we have now. Ford may or may not join DPi. Overseas, Aston Martin is supposed to use a Valkyrie or 4 but their financial situation is not good to say the least.

I try to stay positive and upbeat, but I'm having a tough time looking for positives in terms of variety and new makes in either major endurance series. I hope the wec and imsa come together sooner than later and merge their top prototype class at least to 95% the same. Maybe then teams and manufacturers will see a reason to enter both or either so they can contest the biggest endurance races including LM24.