View Single Post
Old 14 Sep 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3304039)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, I think this is NASCAR playing it very cleverly rather than delivering perfect justice.

They've blitzed Waltrip with these dazzling penalties but when the dust settles Bowyer is still in the chase. So the public is generally impressed that NASCAR has acted swiftly, NASCAR's relationship with the Waltrip operation is salvaged, the chase place means that NAPA will probably continue with Waltrip and team manipulation is aggressively discouraged. It's a very clever response that manages the situation but it's not quite justice. I was somewhat amused by the submissive way Waltrip accepted the penalty. He knew that if Bowyer had of been turfed from the chase, it's likely NAPA would've abandoned Waltrip and crippled that organisation. NASCAR was really looking after Waltrip's interests.

You can't have open manipulation in a sport with organisations of 3 to 4 teams and top of that another layer of small 'satelites' outfits that depend on the big teams for support. It's just not sustainable in NASCAR, like it is in F1 so they had to respond.