View Single Post
Old 7 Sep 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3848672)   #7
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
No money? Wow that will attract the professionals..........

Is the book being given away or proceeds to a worthy charity?

I worked out that the book has cost me 1000 hours of my time and , so far, about 7k in expenses. I will get 10% royalty on sales . It would be nice to break even, or perhaps make some profit, but in this game you never know . I am not a professional writer , I do it because I love writing, and have had stuff published since the early 80s , some for fees (and these days they are risibly low, in one case half what I got 20 years ago ) . It's been hugely gratifying to hear from people - letters , emails and in person that they've enjoyed reading my stuff . The majority of my work has been for nothing .

This is my third book, the other two were on a different subject and both were very well reviewed , and sold reasonably well . I reckon I am about 2k up..

Hardly anybody writes books to make money, and if you make some it's a bonus. I cannot afford to pay professional fees . In connection with a number of articles I've written some amateur photographers have been more than happy to let me us their own photographs , in return for a credit and a free copy of the publication . I appreciate their goodwill .

So no ,I am not donating my royalties to charity , but thank you for the invitation to do so . ...