Thread: ALMS to shrink
View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2000, 14:46 (Ref:30451)   #15
Chris S
Rookie

Chris S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMWracerITS -- I heard the same thing; Panoz did absolutely no advertising and the track had no financial reason to do any advertising. The contract made with the track was the same as if the race was an SCCA club race or PCA event. Certainly not what you would expect from a Pro series.

A friend who drives a Saleen in WC-GT has an uncle who lives in suburban Charlotte. The uncle found out about the race when our friend called him from the track to let him know he was in town. A club racing friend who lives near Charlotte told me there was no television, radio or print about the event anywhere in the area. As an SCCA club racer and corner worker, I must admit my impression of Mr. Panoz has never been great (read the interview he gave in Racer magazine a couple of years ago) and this did nothing to improve my feelings about him.

I don't live in an ALMS/TA market, so I can't really say if this has improved. Does anyone on this board live in such a market? Has the Panoz-Sanchez Group gotten better with time?