View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2074086)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_For_Pole
That's true, clubs only bring their name to the party, nothing more. Which of course means that the obvious question is where will the money come from?
I've been ignoring this series, assuming it will go away; but to their credit the website is constantly being updated with (real) news, cars and engines are being built. The plan is obviously for the football teams to receive a cut of TV money, merchandise and sponsorship, but I just can't see it taking off enough to generate enough cash to cover operating costs. A1GP had a unique selling point, but appealing to nationalities covers a much broader base than appealing to football fans of a particular club, and it's taken A1 3 years just to break even.

Not convinced about the planned Donington round; it clashes with BTCC at Silverstone, and I'm guessing any "fair-weather" motorsport fan in the area would probably want to go watch some tin-tops charging into each other than the first race of an unproven series with no British "clubs" taking part.