View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2022, 10:47 (Ref:4092180)   #20
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I think all the one make clubs have suffered in recent years. The advent of many more historic series and the cost of the cars has seen new competitors buy cars and move to what they see as prestigious events. AMOC have tried various ideas but there is an ongoing power struggle in the club between the racers and the polishers. They have submitted plans to build a heritage centre in Newport Pagnall not far from the AM sales centre.
The MGCC has seen a loss of entries as well and now has to rely on invited series to make a viable meeting. Since the Equipe series went commercial (very successfully) costs have gone up but there are lots of new competitors who have replaced those who use to race in the series like myself. Many cars are professionally built and run and a "new" FIA MG B will cost four times what mine cost me to build. Equipe now run their own meetings or buy grids for organisers. It's not just MGCC that have suffered as other series for Triumph, Healey etc have all more or less gone.
It's a similar story with Bentley DC who still run their Silverstone meeting as they get a discounted hire rate having helped BRDC at the start. Bentleys for years remained in the same family but the escalating worth has seen the latest generation cash the cars in and a completely new type of owner with unlimited funds and interests. Hence the number of Bentleys used on historic regularity rallies and the like.