View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4076656)   #30
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I had a garage and petrol pumps from 1968-1989 and had to get through shortages and "waxing" diesel in winter. We used to mix paraffin to diesel back then to use it during extremely cold weather , in actually fact an inline pump diesel engine will run totally on paraffin but only when it is hot, but I don't know about newer electronic injection stuff.
During one shortage spell back in the70s I was running one of my petrol vans on a 50/50 petrol/paraffin mix, it didn't start or go too well but at least it was usable to get about.
As for unleaded going off after a long while, It will last a lot longer if you put a lump of lead in the tank ! Indeed I used lead balls in the tank of my race car for years and sometimes ran it on low octane unleaded with no problem at at a static CR of 13/1
Was it Williams F1 team who got into trouble for bags of lead shot in their fuel tanks . They claimed it was ballast , but it was well known to raise the octane rating .

But this E10 fuel thing is all about taking more money off motorists .
It is claimed to be environmentally friendly , but the claim turns out at less than 1% lower emissions than normal petrol , when a lot of cars will use between 10 & 20 % more . So it actually produces 9 to 19% more emissions .
But it does increase fuel taxation income by 10 to 20% for the government .