Thread: Dunlop L Tyres
View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4080473)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Most informative, and interesting.Thank you. I've not bought any new tyres since production moved! I did have a stash, and haven't raced much as the cars was in bits!

The FiA, msa, and historic race organisers insist we use Dunlop with no alternative nor competition. . . . add to that the suggestion there's no control over the consistency or quality they supply ? Closed shop and borderline dangerous . As well as opening a can of competitive spec/quality questions . . . Do some get better than others?

I'm all for no grip sideways fun . . . But don't have any desire to crash and burn

I wouldn't be suprised if people have had tyres made by now . . . Histrionics has no boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
It is very difficult to judge this as an outsider....

You make it look in your post as if this a production quality issue,
and this very well may be the case

Buuuut: It can also be this:
Despite what it says on the tin, the compounding of the Classic Dunlops keep changing as the availabe cocktail of ingredients change.
Imperceptively, the Classic Dunlops keep moving along with more modern tires as ingredients from modern tires find their way into the Classic tires to replace ingredients that are no longer available.

We as racers can see the result of this creep, because laptimes are dropping and so is tire life.
Something is happening there

As a result, due the combination of, better track surfaces, historic racing cars that nowadays are going much quicker than they used to go in period and stickier compounds,
the unchanged physical design of the tires might, with some some cars just exceed the limits of the original design

a case of 2021 load pattern not allowed for in a 1960ies design....

this would then be not a production quality issue,
but an issue of quality management in product development

RudE