View Single Post
Old 28 Jun 2003, 23:06 (Ref:645704)   #9
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose that in this age of telemarketing the WRC is growing. But the rallies are getting shorter, less cars are participating, there is talk of eliminating tarmac, and certainly the ruling on number three drivers is completely absurd!

The Playstation generation who have never driven a rally will eat this **** up. In car cameras, computer generated stages with several cars running along them sure it is entertaining...

In my day one had to drive the stages to experience them. You had to hike through the woods in all kinds of weather to see the cars go by and there would be a fair variety of them. And each with its own note. I liked it better that way.

If the cars are all built to a formula, the sound will be pretty much the same for each one. Not a great improvement really. The sounds of the 8,4 and 6 cylinder engines of not that long ago at least had a bit of variety.

Production based rally would be great. Let the Subaru and Mitsubishis fight it out but maybe have some other classes with the 2wd BMWs, 2litre hatches, small sports cars and whatever compete as well. Something for every manufacturer and something for the enthusiast as well. Not a gravel based version of F1. Real cars on real roads, just like it used to be.

WRC is missing a lot more than noise!