View Single Post
Old 27 May 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1619887)   #8
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jonners,

Wow! I can't remember seeing someone miss a point so angrily! You obviously harbour deep seated opinions (a good thing) about the subject of tyres. But please don't take it out on me!

I apologise if I didn't make my point clearer.

The view expressed in my post is purely aimed at those series that mandate a very expensive tyre, thereby giving no choice but to pay out big money for items that that are likely to be in the bin in a short space of time.

With regards to your bizarre parallel with Kwik fit exhausts and so on, it would be fair to say that with brake pads aside, none of the items you are talking about suffer from the same vital attribute that makes tyres expensive, in that racing miles don't tend to wear them out quickly. They are bought once every few years. Tyres on the otherhand are a different matter entirely.

I'm afraid that I don't see how many of your points relate to mine. I am simply expressing the view that if a series wishes to have a control tyre, then make it a cost effective one, not one that instantly renders potential competitors unable to justify the cost and therefore unlikely to compete. You cannot argue that potential competitors choices are unaffected by cost! Therefore, it needs to be considered.

I make no points about banning the use of expensive tyres in series that have free regulations. The whole point of those series is to offer a place to race to whoever wants to enter. Therefore, those entering understand that it is unlikely they will be competing with those with a bigger budget.
My opinions are aimed to question championships that wish to have a single tyre policy in the interests of perfomance equality. If you're going to do that, then go for a cheaper rather than more expensive tyre. You're entry numbers will certainly be higher and the racing probably better.

I also express no opinions about championships that allow 1A but not 1B. That is a different argument from this one. I happen to agree with the points that you make about that stuff, but don't understand how it relates to the view I expressed. You seem to have drawn the conclusion that I am suggesting that all racing tyres should be banned and everybody should run on list 1A?
Again, I was merely responding to the thread author's complaint that the mandated tyre choice was not of the performance level he may like to run. My point is that if they're going to mandate a certain type, then its better that its the cheaper end of the market. It is very likely that those who determined the tyre regulations for the series he is looking to compete in are providing what their existing competitors want.

If you wish to spend spend spend, then there's no lack of championships that provide the need and clearly this championship is trying not to be one of them.

For the record and in response to your explanation about the problems with List 1A and 1B tyres, if the organisers are pitching regulations in a way that results in a limited choice of tyre and maybe no good solution, then of course its wrong! If you've had this experience, then I'm sorry to hear that, but its a different subject.

Incidentally, if I CHOOSE to run in a series that has people using better tyres and it is within the regulations then I'm unlikely to 'moan' about it aren't I? Are you confusing me with somebody that has irritated you by doing that?

Best Regards.