Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 28 May 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1620818)   #11
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er, my aplogies...

...all my toys are back in the pram now

My post does sound like a direct assault on the previous poster - hope no offence was caused

I just get enormously frustrated on the subject of tyres in amateur motorsport

The one thing I've learnt is that tyre regs never suit everybody - a fact of life. But there is this view that the way to appease everybody and make things fairer is to specify list 1a

it doesn't work. my car is very hairy on list 1a and also less competitive than newer cars on 1a. 1b actually evens up the playing field

so there you go, an example of tyre regs not suiting me whereas they wouldn't bother someone in a different car. someone might say you just have to compensate by developing a different area of the car - er, but there goes the money I've supposedly saved on 1a tyres. And someone with more money than me will have exploited that area of development already so the notion that the playing field has been levelled by 1a is nonsense.

Tyres are consumables - yes, better ones wear out more quickly. so do better engines. why not specify halfords own brand oil and other consumables too??

Helmets?? analogy doesn't work - we don't have to buy new helmets just because the manufacturer withdraws perfectly acceptable items from a list in the blue book that was created to appease the sponsors of a production saloon car series in the 80's (a tyre manufacturer!!)

as for kwik fit shock absorbers - rebuildable items designed for motorsport might need servicing more frequently so let's please Karl Marx and ban them and send everyone to the tyre centre paradise

as for quick fit exhausts - the point is the same - why not prevent people from spending too much money on exhausts???

just because 'motorsport' tyres wear out more quickly downgrading the spec of the ones you can use is daft. Sorry but it really is. th point about money is nonsense

all the ib tyres i've ever bought have needed replacing before they have worn out - and my car is double driven at events and driven there and back on the road. perhaps you guys compete more often than me - clearly that's not fair...you get more practice than me, more development and more fun. We've got to put a stop to that.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it took me years of competing to realise how important tyres are and the huge effect they have on performance - i don't have limitless funds (i do have a wife, life and 2 children) but can't see the point of competing on tyres that aren't th best available for the purpose - for every reason to do with car performance don't mess around with tyres...

imagine telling the members of a golf club that inferior balls only are allowed because some members don't like losing expnsive ones

namby pamby nanny muesli monster loony let's make life fair sticky tyres are emotionally unappealing confound this pinko list 1a commie nonsense!!!!

I'll get my coat...