Thread: New Corvette!!!
View Single Post
Old 7 May 2003, 17:27 (Ref:592600)   #24
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Audi TT? Not bad. At least you have some grasp of what driving a performance car is like. Did you get the chance to floor it? I expect even the 180bhp version gives you a healthy push in the back that lets you know it ain't no 1.8 Vectra...

At £50k, the Z06 is competing with genuine sports/GT cars on their own territory, so you're right it's not value for money in the UK. But the standard C5 is damn near as quick (it'll do 170mph) and only costs £30k. If you like rear drive, normally aspirated sports cars, there's not much competition at that money, except for the hairdressers stuff (Z3/4, Boxster etc). The nearest is possibly the TVR, but that has its own image problems associated with medallions and frequent/long/expensive trips back to TVR to be fixed...

I too enjoy reading evo, and share their undying passion for the Impreza. But I've driven enough cars to know that a weekend trip to Anglesey can't possibly tell you everything about a car, and a tired press vehicle can have problems that completely taint their impression. And besides, everybody is different, each driver has his/her own tastes, and you or I will probably never get even close to the limits to which the experienced hacks at evo can take a performance car.

So by all means see what evo (and the other mags) have to say, but whatever you do, don't completely discard a car on their advice without trying it out first.