Old 18 May 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1915763)   #23
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.Doyle
Going back to real bike engines, about which I know very little. I wonder if some of the versions you get in sprint & hillclimb cars aren't more highly tuned than say MotoGP engines. Certainly if you watch the revs displayed on MotoGP they are pathetic compared to F1, given the fact that small engines should rev much higher than big ones. Also, given the way that current bikes eat the back tyre, both on road & in short races, I suspect there is little motivation to tune them much higher in that context. I would have thought you could tolerate a much higher & peakier power delivery through a pair of 10" Avons than you could on any bike.

?
The reason MotoGP engines only rev to what you term pathetic, is partly because they are limited on how much fuel they can carry, as they are limited more each year to slow the bikes down. If they went quicker all the tracks would have to be remodelled, just like F1's move forom V10s to V8s. Also like you said the tyres cannot keep up with the power they have let alone more. When they were running 500 two strokes they would detune them to make them rideable where sidecar teams using the same engine could squeeze another 30 horsepower out through their 10 inch Avon.

Whether hillclimbers could squeeze more power out depends if they have a budget like MotoGP, but at least they don't need to last 30 laps.

Jeff