View Single Post
Old 6 May 2021, 22:48 (Ref:4050123)   #16
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really don't know why people make such a big deal over the fact we have multiple classes and two championships. I t has always been the case.
In fact if you go back to the late 80's & early 90's there were umpteen championships.
RAC British Championship
BRDA Northern Regional Championship
BRDA Southern Regional Championship
BTRDA Clubmans Championship
Croft Challenge
and probably a couple more
Some meetings were rounds of multiple championships, and some just single ones.

As for classes.....
Formula A
Formula B
Formula C
Colway Tyres A
Colway Tryes B
Nova Challenge

Move into the mid 90's and we got
Showroom
Supercar
Modified
Modified 1600
Showroom 1400
Colway Tyres
Colway Tyres 1600
Production Rallycross
Minicross

Ignore the sub classes for now and lets just concentrate on the races, and on Saturday you will see an 80+ car entry over 6 catagories, with average 8 car grids for the heats and 10 car grids for the finals.
Even in the sports heyday that would still have been classed as a good meeting.

And so what if there are quite a few sub classes, the drivers pay a lot of money to race at an event.
So what if more of them go away with something shiny for the mantlepiece, and to smile at when they get home. Back in the day entry fees were a lot less and there was prize money.

This year fingers crossed there will be nine rallycross meetings in the UK I would expect to see entries averaging between 70 & 80 cars.
In the current climate that is not to be sniffed at.
Looking back is fine but lets not do it through rose tinted glasses, things were not always hunky dory even in the glory years.