Thread: Rovals
View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2019, 23:13 (Ref:3931202)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
SK, well I did say a few of my choices might be a stretch, so fair enough if that's your sense on Avus.

Yeah, the way SCGT hems that in makes the Las Vegas chicane look pretty diabolical. I've thought the Talladega course could be interesting, though it's a bit hard to tell the speed through there visually with the models I've seen that don't have as much context with regards to whatever surroundings there were.

AOR, I get that with Daytona. As for Indy, I guess we'll see how the GT3s go. I hope those guys use the longer layout that incorporates the Oval Turn 1 banking.

A43, the basic version of Mallory looks like a fun little blast. I have more mixed feelings about Rockingham; at least when it comes to higher-performance racing cars, the lap just seems a bit too busy. Taking out the Oval Turn 1 chicane does help some with that.

Avus probably would have flown under the radar for me, too, if not for the stuff I found on 1920s and '30s GP and Sports Car racing some time back.

As a general note, I may amend the entries for Brooklands, Lausitzring, and Montlhery. There could be a bit more info on Brooklands in one of a couple books I have. With Lausitzring, there are some discrepancies on lap lengths and how long one or two of the layouts might actually be. Regarding Montlhery, even if only three or so of the layouts saw regular enough use to get proper length and record data, the facility had about 9 possible layouts in addition to just the straight oval, to say nothing of how various iterations of chicanes play into all that.