Thread: Driver 2018 F1 silly season.
View Single Post
Old 14 Jun 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3741152)   #112
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I think it's ultimately a subjective thing. I am not being daft...

Certain drivers stand out constantly, and others do not.

Hamilton stands out in the Mercedes this year. Verstappen in the red bull, Vettel in the Ferrari. I don't feel like I'm clutching at straws when I make those statements. Those drivers have always stood out whether it was Vettel winning Monza in a Toro Rosso. Hamilton was making Alonso go crazy, and Verstappen won on debut with Red bull and the dramatic drive in Brazil. Certain drivers just have a star studded resume of unlikely finishes, dramatic starts, supreme comeback drives and for me those drivers are Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Verstappen. It's not a knock on anyone else, just noticing that certain drivers stand out for what they have achieved in the sport more than others.
Or putting it another way; drivers who one can see doing something spectacular at any time in any conditions to make something happen?

You see even then some of these stars have off days, and quite big ones!

That's the thing with Alonso. He never seem to have them. Senna never did, Prost never did.

Vettel has to have the car to his tastes to get the max out (he has with this years Ferrari undoubtedly), Hamilton can seem totally lost on occasion and Max, well i'm not sure he's reached his limitations yet.

Even Schumacher at the height of his powers had inexplicable race weekends where he wasn't in the frame (rare I know!)