View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2019, 05:19 (Ref:3919379)   #80
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Supercars didn't take aim at PROCAR? Supercars hasn't taken aim at TCR by supposedly telling the Adelaide organisers to give them the lemon sarse?
I remember Procar taking aim at Supercars after choosing to walk away from the Supercar support program so any "taking aim" by Supercars would have been a return serve, not an initial aim.

TCR & Adelaide is interesting, Supercars has not "taken aim" at TCR, has not rubbished the product etc and from statements made by both organisations, is open to having TCR run at Supercar events. Adelaide (supposed) veto (not confirmed by anyone directly involved yet I think) could simply be that the preferred events for TCR in Supercars view are elsewhere.

Quote:
I think we both know one side was doing far more of the slinging in the 'ancient war', they even used our most famous event as the bargaining chip, yet these days had adopted the history of the race that apparently treated them so badly
There's come a watershed moment in many sports where the performers are looking to share more (or at all) in the revenue pie - the teams got to that point, the famous event and its broadcaster refused to budge so the teams went elsewhere - hardly taking aim at another category in any way HOWEVER the V8 vs 2L "war" had plenty of barbs thrown in both directions by both parties.

Quote:
What has Supercars ever done to benefit other categories that didn't as a by-product benefit themselves (ie....have they done anything for categories not on their support bill?)
  • Put the pressure on CAMS to remove "sponsor" licences - benefitting all of Australian motorspor
  • Put pressure on CAMS to stop charging both entrant and driver licence fees to single driver teams - benefitting all of Australian motorsport
  • Introduced season entries (against CAMS wishes at the time) making it much easier for competitors to enter a series and for series organisers to plan - benefitting all of Australian motor sport and now a requirement in CAMS category management documenation.
  • Specified and paid a fee for timing software that enabled Natsoft to have a sytem that could for the 1st time be run from a laptop and making it easier/cheaper for any Aus event to be run and recorded - benefitting all of Australian motorspor
  • Developed pit lane safety processes including reduced speed limits benefittingn all of Australian motor sport
  • Provided a higher number of full-time employment positions in motorsport giving a greater pool of expereinced and qualified motorsport personnel - benefitting all of Australian motorsport
  • Provided simulation programs and data for circuit safety infrastrucutre needs along with supporting CAMS in improving infrastructure
  • Exposed motor sport to a larger and wider corporate base, increasing awareness of the sport generally and the people in it
Could go on but I'd be here for hours and this thread would be VERY long.

Quote:
If those involved at Supercars over the last 20 years had any passion for Aussie motor racing as a whole, outside of their own bubble, then they did a great job of hiding it.
Many of them did (& still do) and if you spoke to them at all, you'd know that. Some (such as GRM) have shown it plenty from a public point of view. Not all of them, I give you that and certainly their public utterances are about promoting what they do so naturally, that's what tends to be seen.

I'm not saying that the organisation has been pure as driven snow all the time but it's been in place for over 20 years now and the upsides far outweigh the downsides IMHO.