View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2003, 19:08 (Ref:680730)   #23
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok, I've stayed out of this until now.

My opinion: Having seen the footage I think it would have been tight for the fire truck to get through the gap between Piquet and the pit wall even if Piquet hadn't of moved. Oulton has a two by two grid for F3 unlike the most other circuits.

The rear facing camera on Piquet's car shows that the chase vehicles had a good amount of run up to the stalled car after the rest of the F3 cars including Thompson had passed it. IMO it would have been more sensible for the fire truck to back off slightly and to follow the rescue unit on the wider side of the track.

Race starts are exactly the time where incidents happen, cars stall and drivers then either get the car going again and leave the grid; or they will attempt to get the car off of the racing line to get into a slightly safer position. I don't think it is unusual or unforseeable that Piquet moved the car. I don't think it is for Piquet to signal his intention to move the car, he's in a race car, the rest of the grid has left and I'm not sure that there is much of a need for mirror, signal, manoevour.

The alternative of course is that Piquet may have just got out of the car and made for the pit wall - that's an alternative that just doesn't bear thinking about.....

Matthias, I think some of us are out for reasoned debate rather than a slanging match. This is an incident that mercifully ended with no injuries. It is better that it is discussed in a sensible manner, perhaps as something that could be learnt from not just used as a stick to beat people with.