View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3741845)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Has a weight for the battery pack been announced. There was an overall vehicle weight, but I don't remember weight for the battery pack, which will have to be handled somehow during pit stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I imagine the battery pack will just be inserted on dolly jacks.

I don't think pack will be getting changed on pit road, at least in America. The concrete wall that most tracks mean you'd have to wheel the batteries around, and you'd be extremely restricted on space. It'd be easier just to put the car behind the wall, do a quick change and back out. Since this isn't competing in a proper class, it doesn't matter - it just needs to be a good proof of concept.

For Le Mans it's possible, but it looks extremely difficult to do in the US. Good luck to them making this concept work. At least it's actually trying to progress technology, which is very nice!
I could see them being granted a specific pit stall for each event to show the concept, close to the openings to allow that change behind the wall faster. Yes, it would be a huge 'advantage' over all the way to the garage but to test the concept possibly worth it. I know some series go by points to assign pit boxes, no idea actually how IMSA does it though.

They have a huge advantage over the Formula E cars in terms of packaging. More room to place the batteries and connections than an open wheel, ergo the offset driving position. I really wanted to see Formula E develop a pit lane gantry system, car pulls up, then is lifted off of battery system. Old rolled out, new rolled in and car returned to the ground, possibly even with electric jacks in the battery pack like the air jacks in cars now. Yes I know, crazy and goofy but would be fun to see and would keep the batteries low in the car.