View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:36 (Ref:846099)   #22
matt_tentenths
Rookie

matt_tentenths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm one of the two in the BMW Championship who wear a HANS device.

My impressions after a full year of wearing it:

- Not awkward to wear and quite comfortable. The longest race I completed was around 45 minutes.

- Some restricted movement, though this is inherent with the safety device. However, you soon forget you have it on when in the car. The only issue sometimes is reversing into the garage in the pitlane!

- No impact at all on my race driving. (I won every race that I finished). The restricted movement does not effect your track driving.

- The helmet and anchor points are not validated by the MSA or anyone, however you do need a good engineer with specific instructions from the manufacturer on how and where to fit the anchor points.

- It does take a session in the car to get used to it. You may feel your collar bone either side of your neck after a race or a long session in the car, because you should always have your belts tight and the HANS sits underneath those. You can alter and add to the padding though.

- I'd highly recommend it and have no hesitation in wearing it. In fact, it easily becomes habit and I wear it even on the tamest of track days.

Last edited by matt_tentenths; 21 Jan 2004 at 23:37.