View Single Post
Old 15 Jul 2019, 22:01 (Ref:3917939)   #18
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Vettel has a big question mark, which I think will be key. As will what Bottas does
I think those 2 are indeed key, but for Bottas: it doesn't depend on what Bottas does, is depends on what Mercedes decides.

I can't see Verstappen go to Ferrari. Staying at Red Bull for 2020 is no worse option, and he can still see what happens for 2021. I think he targets Hamilton's seat (for 2021 or beyond)

I understand why EJ said Hamilton would go to Ferrari in that case. Verstappen-Hamilton just won't work (*), and the chance of winning in a Ferrari is something only few can resist.

(*) I didn't think EJ meant that Hamilton would be afraid of Verstappen, just that it would not work. Think Hamilton-Rosberg, just maybe worse.

On the other hand, I can't see Verstappen-Vettel at Mercedes either. Mercedes has not need for Vettel, unless he dramatically improves in 2020, in which case he has no need to leave Ferrari and they have no need to let him go.
If Mercedes needs someone to partner Verstappen, I think they would go for Ocon or Russell anyway. Why raise young drivers if you're not going to use them?

Ricciardo to Ferrari? Maybe. If Vettel leaves or has to leave, what choice do they have? Verstappen won't do it I think and will probably be too expensive anyway (especially if they have to buy out Vettel's contract). They have a few youngsters but none of them are ready or have enough SuperLicense points.
That leaves Ricciardo, Alonso, Bottas (?) (but why take him if he is dropped by Mercedes)