View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2655641)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I ran across a site a few weeks ago of a group who claimed to have acquired from TAG/McLaren the remaining stock of engines and heads from the TAG engines. They were selling them for quite a bit of money if I remember and I think they listed some of the history of the individual cases as selling points. Unfortunately I can't remember who it was and I can't seem to find them now. Maybe you will have better luck.

I did find a post from 2005 on the pelicanparts.com forum from someone who claims to own TTE PO 1-44. This person may know the history of his (and your) engine.

Regarding the "Porsche or not" aspect of the engine, there has always been a small bit of controversy about that. McLaren/TAG contracted Porsche to build the engine for them. The basic package was defined by John Barnard of McLaren, but the design and construction of the engine was by Porsche. While the engine was labeled "TAG", it also had a "made by Porsche" (or something similar) on the engine. When Porsche was developing the engine, they put it in a 956 test mule (which was the first time it was mounted to a car of any type) which outraged McLaren as the engine was not for Porsche's use, but for the McLaren F1 car. In short Porsche was able to get a huge amount of publicity out of that engine on someone else's dime which bugged TAG/McLaren.