View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2013, 12:26 (Ref:3321092)   #122
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem isn't that the racing lacks excitement.
The problem isn't that drivers are uninteresting and/or without captivating stories.
The problem isn't a lack of rivalries, both old and new.
The problem isn't an uninspired and lackluster (or worse - nonexistent) history.

The problem is that the only people who pay attention are race fans. Furthermore, we as race fans have been paying attention all along. We aren't the ones that IndyCar needs to convince, because we're already here.

There are three groups that IndyCar (or any other race series that wants viewers and/or fans), and all three have to be targeted differently.
In my mind, anyway.

Casual race fan
The casual race fan already likes motorsport. In the US, it probably means they are a NASCAR fan, since NASCAR is the 800lb gorilla. These are the fans that need to go to a race live. They need to sit in the stands, hear the revs & turbo whine, smell the race fuel, etc.
They are are either going to like IndyCar or they aren't. I have some friends who are NASCAR only, and refuse to watch anything else. One uses the phrase "I don't like them go karts," so you can understand the mentality. It's this group that we, as fellow race fans (and, specifically IndyCar fans) can help grow the sport by exposing casual fans to IndyCar.

My personal PSA: Take a friend to an IndyCar race, if you can. You'll help IndyCar grow.

Accidental Viewer
These are those who happen upon a race on TV or attend a race after winning tickets or through a sponsor affiliation. They are completely green and know nothing about racing or IndyCar. Since they don't know about racing or IndyCar at all, so they should be educated. If they learn some of the history, the technology and are able to understand enough to enjoy the exciting racing on-track, they may want to come back.
Unfortunately, this group is the reason that the on-air crew has to do all the "dumbed-down" segments, so they can introduce the greenhorns to what the rest of us already know.

Non Race Fan
The name says it all. They aren't race fans for whatever reason. So to convert them to a race fan is difficult. Perhaps they have alleigance to some other sport (football, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc.) or they aren't into sports overall.
This is the group I'm clueless about. I have no clue how to expose a non race fan in such a way that it will be appealing to them and they would show interest.

Note: The opinions expressed above are mine and mine alone.