View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4072602)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there are a few ways to look at tracks with two big ones that apply here.

1. A "drivers" perspective. How fun is it to drive. Note, this is not about racing, but about personal enjoyment

2. A "fans" perspective. Does it produce an exciting race.

Of course there are other aspects such as how close to facilities such as hotels, restaurants, etc. Does the local infrastructure support race weekend traffic (is it a nightmare to drive to and find parking), etc.

I think to #1 it has to be a winner. Lots of unique corners, elevation changes, etc. What is not to like.

Regarding #2, I think the jury is still out. Especially with respect to F1. The track is narrow. I think there was a lot of variability in how teams and drivers attacked the track this past weekend, but I think that is mostly due to lack of prior data. For example while most everyone was trying the high line on that one corner, a few were trying to make the low line work. It could be that eventually everyone just realizes that the low line just never really works. So then everyone just uses the same line there and any excitement goes away (from a spectator perspective as there may not be any passing there). That is just one example.

Overall, somewhat promising from this one F1 race. We need more examples to see if there continues to be positive experience.

Richard