Thread: Old Motors
View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4085633)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I suppose they could just build new PU's that were never raced and do the same thing but the build numbers (not the usage numbers) might also be capped to prevent that happening.
I expect that from a regulations perspective there is no limit on how many can be built. I think that the current budget caps exclude any of the power unit research and production costs.

They may occasionally dyno engines from the pool to check them? To make sure they are OK to be used going forward (such as a unit that was in an accident.) They may dyno some others with mileage as part of understanding longevity (running new software modes on older power units), etc.

Broadly speaking, my opinion is that R&D on high mileage power units that are known to have a relatively short lifespan doesn't make much sense from an engineering perspective. Let's say you have a failure during testing. You do forensic analysis of the engine afterwards. Is the issue systemic to the new thing you are testing or preexisting damage from that engines prior life?

I am not saying it can't be done. It's not like they built a test power unit, run one test, then start again with a new fresh example, but rather, if you have the budget, why add the uncertainty of doing new R&D on worn test subjects.

Richard