Thread: GT Open 2017
View Single Post
Old 29 May 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3737252)   #75
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
They entered 2 of them in American in an Am class as a pro team. Let's not pretend they've gone in on a level playing field on that one. VLN races are often about BOP gaming and delta running outside the N24. SuperGT seems fair enough but I don't know much about it. But debuting your factory backed cars in Am classes and weaker series just seems a bit of a waste of time tbh.

I'm looking forward to seeing the car in a big boy series and playing with other GT3s properly. Its disappointing to wait this long on it (the excuses don't wash tbh. GT3 cars are basically prototypes - they just got it wrong for quite a while) and when it's finally here they enter into Am classes and series rather than the main ones. Was looking forward to this and the NSX and it's all been a bit disappointing and skewed.

Hopefully they will enter it in a Blancpain race this year, and a proper full season effort next. That's when the real fun begins.

I wouldn't put the Acura in the same boat as the Lexus. Lexus is on what year 4 of development in Competition

Acura is in year one?

I expected better from the Lexus, some easy wins in the Gt Open score them some easy PR releases, but I don't think the GT Open competition should be so easily dismissed. The championship has historically been a Pro Am championship, so most of the established teams run to that effect. Lexus come in with two full pro cars and celebrate easy wins

Of course they are going to win. Come Ledogar and Rob Bell has shown how much Pro driven Mclarens are than a Pro driven Lexus. But an Am gets in those cars for the second half of the race and isn't as quick as the second pro. It's simple

Point being, the level of competition in Gt Open is great, and I don't think it's fair to dismiss the championship as lower leagues.