View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3845136)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon makes some very good points and I don't profess to know the answers. I do, however think we are being somewhat pessimistic with the border issues. There is no such thing as crashing out, or no deal, since whatever the parties decide, there will be some form of agreement for continuing trade, can't be anything else.

As someone who has spent a significant part of his life working in countries that require visas and work/resident permits the processes are generally painless and these are countries where the infrastructure is, perhaps, less capable than the UK/Europe. Likewise the scaremongering concerning free movement of people around Europe seems a bit OTT since once we pass into the Schengen area the ability to move between states is the same as now. In fact we all need a passport to enter the Schengen area now, so what is the difference? The answer is nothing, unless you want to work, in which case then a work permit will/may be required.

I do expect us racers to have a bit more paperwork to do but, again, I expect it to be a one stop shop where the onus will be on the owner to provide the necessary proofs, once done, unless there are, all of a sudden, many failures or breaches, inspections will be random. Also since Simon and his team will be working for a, presumably, UK based client then the taxation won't/can't change.

Medical expenses will need to be insured against because we in the UK won't be able to take advantage of the local medical care system.

Don't forget there are trucks from all over non EU Europe coming and going now and we don't see the queues we saw back in the 70s/80s. So, unless there are some bureaucrats with an agenda against the UK, trade should continue reasonably smoothly.

Yes, the FIA should have considered this before now, but they're too busy making sure we all start using hybrids.

But, it is clear that the politicians on both sides of the discussion haven't thought things through and thus initially there may well be problems.