View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3842391)   #195
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I don't see what the problem is with paying drivers, it has always been a component of F1 and has supported the race series before sponsorship became a thing. If a driver brings in money then he supports F1 economically by injecting that money into the category ala Stroll in recent times. F1 has always had a range of driver skills and being a paying driver never garauntees the level of that skill. You could say the Robert Kubica is now a paying driver looking for a seat and trying to buy his way in, is that any more wrong than anyone who uses family money to do the same?
That's a seriously flawed comparison, I mean, the difference being that we actually know Kubica is a skilled and talented racer, while Stroll Jr. even had competitors moved out of his way in junior formulae thanks to his dads money, so I'm not sure why you're equating him to Kubica.

Even a guy like Lauda was a paydriver, but I certainly would never, ever equate him to the likes of Stroll Junior.