View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3944824)   #88
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
...Yes, f1 has and will have and probably needs pay drivers to keep it going. And if a team has one of their two drivers being that, fine. (Hello, latifi). But if you're going to be worth paying attention to, or provide any entertainment value, (which is kinda the bottom line), the second seat should be something to dream on. With racing point, you have two paying drivers, with nothing to dream on in the way of competitiveness, because they have not one, but two pay drivers...
i can see the point you are trying to make but in order to make your point, i think, you are discounting the level of popular support/fanbase Checo has and by extension just how important/valuable that support is.

popular support is a hard thing to quantify and its value is subjective but look at the Mexican GP (which arguably might not exist without Checo on the grid) or the number of followers a person has on social media (as of early 2018 Checo was the 4th most followed on the grid).

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...n-social-media

his millions of followers (i would guess) far outweighs the number followers the team itself has...in this age of social media, Perez is massively important to this team and is possibly the only reason anyone actually follows that team.

arguably i would even say he was/is more valuable to FI/RP then SV is to Ferrari.