View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2022, 10:03 (Ref:4100863)   #27
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Whilst that is true it does also limit costs rising by preventing an 'arms race' in component development/use.
I agree with this take on it.

Consider the following scenario:

Component X has to meet certain criteria. Supplier A can deliver this for £1k, and it gives a specific level of performance.
Team Dynamics think there is the potential for a performance gain to be made with a 'better' component, and spend £2k with a different supplier.
WSR see the marginal gains that TD have achieved, and seek a further supplier who delivers a version at £3k.
Motorbase now evaluate that WSR's supplied component is even better than the TD fitted item, and seek an alternative to the original component they have for £1k. An alternative upgrade is identified, but this has a cost of £4k.

Eventually, we have a situation where teams are spending exponentially increasing amounts to gain marginal performance enhancements over their rivals. Meanwhile, other teams on the grid do not have the budget for this and so are left behind with the base standard component at £1k.